This site uses cookies to provide you with a more responsive and personalised service. By agreeinging to this statement you consent for us to use cookies that ensure the marketing we do is relevant to you. Please read our cookie notice for more information on the cookies we use and how to delete or block them.

SAILING COMMITTEE - Monday 24th February 2020

< Back

Sailing Committee​​​​​​​

IBRSC SAILING COMMITTEE
Monday 24th February 2020: 19:30hrs @ Club house

Minutes

  1. Apologies: - Gareth Griffiths, Simon Bean, Nick Marley
  2. Attendance- Jonathan Leake, Dave Simpson, Alexis Villiers, Mike Jones, Nigel Thomson, John Oldham (Chair, minutes), Ed Mauleverer ( Ajax Scouts )
  3. Approval of minutes from November 12th Meeting.


  1. Adult Training.
  2. It has been suggested that there should be some informal mixed fleet adult winter training sessions. Jonathan worked up a proposal for adult/older youth race coaching (Aeros and Lasers)

The cost would be about £210/person with a couple of professional race coaches running it. The dates we could run such a course would coincide with school holidays (and might run in parallel with a Topper course).Potential dates April 13-17, May 25-29, August 26-30.

There is an ongoing action to Uta to speak to Mike Storey on the viability of this and work with Jonathan.

  1. Jonathan has given Simon Bean details of Laser coaches for potential laser training.
  2. Committee agreed that moving the Tri-Race training from Tuesday evenings to Saturday mornings using a rota of instructors, hoping to boost the Saturday afternoon race. Gareth to instigate.
  3. Nigel is working on a grant proposal for five new Pico’s before April (good adult training single hander).
  4. Power boat course 4/5 April and PB2 25th May
  5. Power boat instructors course – first week in March


  1. Fleets:
  1. RS200 open (SEAS round 6) 17th Oct
    The RS200 date was fixed and agreed with Gareth, Mike J and the RS association in December. It was published on the RS class association in January.
    The club will become a member of the RS association (cost £40 per year) and that Ian P and Nick M will attend all other SEAS events this year in order for us to keep our SEAS status.
  2. The Solo fleet needs a new class captain the “stand in” Mike J proposed Ben Russell, John will contact him to see if he is willing. Providing he is willing other Solo actions will fall to him. There is an urgent need to promote Solo racing in Tri-race and to rationalise the Solo training fleet. It was agreed not to move boats despite their under use..

Action to John to proposed to main committee for members to be asked to move boats that are not used regularly to the lower boat park to make more room of the bank space.

  1. Lasers, the laser open will be on the 11th July.
  2. RS400 – Doug Crow leads on organising the current 400 winter series
  3. Toppers . Open event is planned for 19th September.
  4. Feva- Replacement of club boat racing sails. This is an action to Brendon O’Leary. It is believed that this has been completed. Feva Open meeting date has been proposed by Mike –10th October Action: Brendon to confirm to Mike J.
  5. Streaker /Solo: open proposed date is the 26th September - dates to be confirmed from Chris
  6. Optimist – Date awaits from Chris Balding for an Oppie open. (Post meeting note No dates for an Oppie open yet. Waiting for IOCA to sort out the SE traveller dates)
  7. Aeros – the Aero youth squad will train on the Sunday after the Aero Open they will be off the water by 2.30 so as to not clash with the sailing school first day. ( changing rooms will be full however)
  8. All agreed : All Open meetings will have dedicated safety officer – assigned by race officer.


  1. Club general sailing - opening hours in winter - propose to change to “900 to 1400 last launch 1300”
    Action: to John to raise at next committee meeting.


  1. Events in 2020
  1. Open day (push Boat out) – May 2nd followed by two training dates run by Ben K ( May 16/17 and May 23/24) Action – Nick M is managing this action – update needed. Need to confirm we have enough volunteers
  2. Bart’s Bash 12/13 September – club will not enter due to a clash with the club trip to East head.
  3. New Year ’s Day race will run again this year.
  4. Schools regatta – Mike will work with Ed and confirm the date of 27th June.
  5. Winter series – used to be very popular – Action to John to promote to other clubs.
  6. Friendly Fridays – five fixed dates and additional will be added during good weather.


  1. Junior courses:
  1. 5th to the 28th May Feva course ( Half term week)
  2. Junior beginners is being organised by Ben and Freddie. Contract being finalised by Nigel. But it is unlikely that this will be formalised by April so proposal is that if Oppie leads Ray /Dylan agree and that 5/6 students can be found an Easter Oppie course is run but using current Club booking system with Ben and Freddie as normal bought in instructors. ( Dave B to note and Ray to confirm) ( Post meeting note Ray has confirmed, suggesting people on training waiting list – but make sure any damage is recorded Plus Mike J agreed to get Oppie sails back from Sail maker ASAP)
  3. Coming up for intermediate & advanced racers.is the Easter Topper/Feva Training - April 13-17. Charging £190 for members & £230 non-members. Summer Topper/Feva Training August 24-28th. Autumn Topper/Feva October 19-23 and October 26- 30. Then Christmas week 28-31 mixed course. Book or register interest at: https://membership.islandbarn.org.uk/training/courses?course_scope=RYA


  1. Welfare and Health and Safety
  1. Clubs compliance with DBS checks continues to be monitored by Ray. Mike will pass list of the 2020 instructors to Ray for checks.
  2. Club Health and Safety and club Welfare officers to be named on club lists for awareness. Action to Nick (website) Action to Dave B on Programme. ( Post meeting note Programme has been updated)
  3. Role of the Health and safety and welfare officer need to be defined ( Uta is managing this action – awaits )


  1. RYA and RTC :
  1. It is critical that the club clearly defines whether a course is RYA or not and this must be through the course descriptions on the website and the booking system ( Dave B and Nick F)
  1. Scouts
  1. Power boat Introduction course for leaders being held on the 14th March ( Saturday morning agreed use of boats)
  2. Pontoon to be moved to service the Scout slipway (East of Club) work day.
  3. Scout boats will be grouped together and club boats that have slipped in between will be re posited on the workday. ( Ed to email Dave B with the names of owners)
  4. Scout leaders trained in the use of winch need be listed and list held by Commodore. Dave S to arrange training)
  5. Scouts wish to sell some Toppers. Nigel / Jonathan to liaise with Scouts, Ed to locate relevant boats.
  6. Scouts interested in taking part in the training organised by Ben and Freddie using their own boats. There are questions around insurance with this which will need to be clarified once club courses are up and running.


  1. Junior racing
  1. Gareth to extract the results from the main racing in order for separate prizes to be given.
  1. Trysail


  1. Sailing School
  2. Approval given to Gareth to buy a set of small removable racing marks.


  1. Programme
  1. Gareth is implementing a change to the anniversary series – briefing will be given to race officers.
  2. Dates to go into the programme.

25th April Aero Open

9th May – Push the boat out

7th June club Championships

27th June Schools regatta

28th June Commodores day

11 July Laser Open with club racing (need to confirm numbers to see if club racing needs to suspended)

15th August Match racing and round the island race

12/13 September Camping East head

19th September Topper Open

26th September Solo / Streaker Open

10th October Feva open

10/11 October Club cruise Solent

17th October RS 200 open


  1. AOB
  1. Two more radios are needed – if Alexis cannot locate any second-hand radios by the start of the Sailing School then he will buy suitable new ones on safety grounds.
  2. Jonathan has obtained new wheels for the Visions making them easier to move.
  3. We will introduce £10 Rooster Vouchers as well as Glass wear and wine for prizes.
  4. We need an assessment of competence for new members – Action for Safety officer to bring to main committee.
  5. Maintenance of club boats. It is suggested that the members currently aligned to club fleets make up list of repairs for the general membership on club work days. Chris Smith – Laser, Mike Storey – Vision, Mike J – Topper, Ben Russell – Solo, Brendon O’Leary - Feva, Ray Lambe - Optimist, Nick Marley – RS 200 ( 940 as a split in transom)


  1. Dates for next meetings: 15th June 2020, 21st September 2020, 14th December 2020
COVID 19 Update - Temporary Club Closure    find out more