This site uses cookies to provide you with a more responsive and personalised service. By agreeinging to this statement you consent for us to use cookies that ensure the marketing we do is relevant to you. Please read our cookie notice for more information on the cookies we use and how to delete or block them.

Sailing Committee - 9th September 2019

  • IBRSC Sailing Comittee

    Minutes - Sailing Committee Meeting

    Date: September 9 2019
    Time: 1930
    Location: Clubhouse

    Attending: Gareth Griffith, Uta Griesenbach (chair), Mike Jones, Dave Simpson, Peter Halliday, Nigel Thompson, Jonathan Leake, Nick Marley

    Apologies: Simon Bean, Dave Baldwin, Alexis Villier

    Minutes prepared by Uta Griesenbach


    Item

    Discussion

    Actions

    Adult training




    Mixed fleet training initially suggested by Peter Halliday and delivered by Mike Storey was very well received. Look into possibilities to extend this on some Saturdays throughout the winter

    Look into feasibility of running a mixed fleet training course over a week or maybe two weekends

    Uta to discuss with Mike Storey or other potential trainers


    Uta to discuss with Jonathan re getting coach in and potential costs

    Fleets

    RS200: Winter series was a success and will be repeated in 2019/20

    RS400 may enjoy a similar winter series on alternate weekends.

    Solo/Streaker open – considering the forecast the turnout was good and all sailor enjoyed the racing. In general, we may need to improve on advertising in a timely fashion. Assignments of roles and responsibilities needs to be discussed and agreed. Peter H has resigned as fleet captain and successor needs to be found.

    Laser open

     It was Aeros: growing fleet. Currently we don’t have a separate start, but will keep reviewing this

    Topper winter and summer training was a great success in 2018/19. Having a large number of topper on the start line requires some more patience from adult sailors. Please raise any major concerns with Uta

    Dates have been circulated by Nick M


    Doug C has arranged this and dates are set

    Added as agenda item to next meeting



    Successful event


    Agenda item for next meeting


    Nigel and Jonathan to organise for 2019/20. Dates will be decided.

    Bird faeces

    Dave B’s new design for T-pontoon is working a treat

    Dave to consider designs for the other pontoons

    Training aid

    Dave B constructed a training aid for trysail and sailing school.

    Aid was a great success this summer, but mounted Oppie disappeared.

    Sorry, but not sure re follow up. To be discussed at next meeting

    Events in 2019



    Push the Boat out

    Barts Bash






    Aug 3 IB 60th bday event was a great success


    Topper training courses in October halfterm are being booked


    Training courses for kids beginners



    Fevas: try to grow fleet.

    Repeat in 2020. Date to be decided

    Notice from organisers to confirm date came in too late for IBRSC to advertise widely. Happy to participate in 2020 if given enough notice

    Advertise barts bash too late to advertise widely as happening Sept 14/15. To little notice from organisers



    Thank you to Rob P, Mike J, Tessa G for help with organisation



    Thank you to Jonathan and Ben for organising


    Ben to organise a week during halfterm. The experience and income will then be used to discuss plans for 2020


    Mike J and Jonathan working on this

    Ongoing

    Reminders to all race officers to contact team well before the duty


    Remind all members about last launch times in summer and winter

    Done in summer, but redo for winter by Uta


    Done in summer, but redo for winter by Uta

    Upcoming events




    Welfare Officer update

    Incident dealt with – comment between students


    Few instructors need DBS, safe and fun. Ray responsible for sorting this for junior sailing school

    Course organisers need to plan ahead if bringing in externals


    Ray L dealt with this and no further action required

    To be reviewed ahead of training activities in 2020

    RYA/RTC update

    RYA inspection was conducted in October. Nigel is working through comments and actions and will update asap

    Nigel to update

    Club boats

    We need a more coordinated approach for investments into the club fleet. All agreed that appointment of a grant officer would be important and Ben Kimbell has agreed to become grant officer

    Key point: we need to prepare a 3-5 year development plan and determine strategic applications for grants and decide what boats we would like to focus on

    In addition, we should inquire whether TW may fund electronic dates or new boiler (to prevent legionella infection)

    Solos: What to do with club Solos. They are not used much and if used seem to have problems


    Nigel T has agreed to lead on this and will feed back





    Tony S and John O to lead on this


    To be discussed with Gareth at next meeting

    Training

    PB2 Instructor training


    VHF course in 2020

    AI and DI courses in 2020

    First aid course


    Dave S and Alexis to advice on next steps


    TBD

    Ben K to lead discussion

    Jonathan L is organising

    Costing Structure

    It was generally agreed that costing structure for open meetings and all training events needs to be reviewed


    Uta is organising a meeting in Oct/Nov 2019

    TrySail

    Nothing to report.

    Nick to update

    Sailing school

    2019 Feedback/planning meeting is scheduled

    Mike J to report back

    Scouts

    Did not attend in September, but IB keen to hear views


    Winch handling

    Byelaws have been amended to allow ≥16 year old to handle winch, but competence has to be assessed. Uta to send out an email and assess competency

    Decision has now been reversed following an incident. Only adults will be allowed to handle winch.

    Jonathan to put up signs

    Safety

    It has been agreed to appoint an “on land” safety officer for all large opens and all major IB events.

    The committee also agreed to remind all sailors that the decision to sail is down to the individual sailor. For under-18s the decision rests with parents and carers who should consult with the race officer if uncertain and be ready to help with safety boats if requested.

    Post meeting note:


    Racing rules have confirmed that safety officer and race officer should work closely together, but that race officer should have final say, in case of a disagreement


    AOB





    Next meeting

    TBD






    CLUB OPEN - CURRENT PRACTICES    find out more