This site uses cookies to provide you with a more responsive and personalised service. By agreeinging to this statement you consent for us to use cookies that ensure the marketing we do is relevant to you. Please read our cookie notice for more information on the cookies we use and how to delete or block them.

COMMITTEE MEETING ON Monday 3rd June 2019: 19:30hrs @ Clubhouse

< Back

committee meeting​​​​​​​

Minutes

  1. Apologies: John Oldham
  2. Present at meeting : Uta Griesenbach (Chair), David Simpson (Minutes), Ben Kimbell – RYA (part-time), Alexis Villiers, Mike Jones, Tessa Groves, Tony Sproat, Chris Smith, Nigel Thomson, Gareth Griffiths, Nick Marley, Brendan O’Leary, Ray Lambe
  3. Discussion on Ben Kimbell’s proposed Sailing Weeks:

From Ben:
“Aims

  • Increase membership
  • Provide holiday sailing/training club members
  • Give members the opportunity to develop, qualifications/experiences
  • Relieve some pressure on volunteers
  • Make full use of the clubs facilities when they’re not currently being used
  • Spread awareness of the club

Ben’s role

  • Advertising and marketing
  • Booking system
  • Staffing
  • Organisation and running of the weeks
  • Maintenance of the equipment
  • Administration
  • Keeping the clubhouse tidy

Involvement of the club

  • Instructor development?
  • Assistant Instructor development?
  • Members helping out with the courses?
  • We would need the RTC to be up and running for this to work”
  • Ben’s aim is to run junior courses at times not used by the club (e.g. 09:00 – 16:00) over half-terms or summer holidays
  • Queen Mary sailing Club (QMSC) runs 8 weeks July/August; cost £275 per student for 5 days; they are fully booked. QMSC has better facilities than us.
  • Ben proposes 3 or 4 weeks at Island Barn over the summer at a cost of £200 - £220 per student for 5 days
  • Priority would be given to IBRSC Dinghy Instructors (DIs)/Assistant Instructors (AIs), but they would need to commit early in the year
  • If we run courses with our instructors, they could be cheaper as we involve parents; the price of Ben’s courses includes an element of child minding
  • Interestingly, QMSC is not treated as a commercial club by Thames Water
  • Max ratio for beginners is 1 instructor to 6 students; initially Ben plans to run with 12 students, max of 24 students/week after initial trial
  • Starting Oct 2019 or summer 2020
  • Initially Ben would be on site for all courses; later, this might be shared with a colleague
  • Feb/Mar run Assistant Instructor (AI) course; marketing start of year
  • Ben has own insurance (he may extend cover); students would become temporary members of IBRSC
  • From Ben’s viewpoint, we would need to be a RYA Recognised Training Centre to allow award of certificates
  • The need for certificates was challenged by Brendan from his experience of filling his non-certificated courses
  • Brendan’s courses run from 08:00 – 17:00, with course from 09:00 to 16:00, to cater for working parents
  • Breakfast club requires 2 adults - Parents were involved, which avoided only one adult being on site
  • What can be offered for after a week’s course??
  • Unknown impact on Sunday pm training:
  • It could detract, make no difference or encourage those who have done a week’s course to apply for Sunday pm; however, Sunday afternoons are currently fully booked
  • Sunday pm could be extended to include formal RYA training by IBRSC DIs for some juniors
  • Ben will not be running courses for adults, so there would be no conflict with the club running adult courses, providing not at same time
  • Ben is busy over weekends from February to October
  • Ben would contribute to boat maintenance and fuel used – This should lead to a reduction in Alexis’ boat maintenance load
  • We currently have 3 Senior Instructors, with potentially two more in the pipeline and almost a surfeit of DIs, so well placed to re-apply to become a RYA Sailing Recognised Training Centre (RTC), in addition to being a Powerboating RTC
  • There will need to be a club wetsuit and helmet policy – currently helmets are provided for juniors, wetsuits are not

Proposed advantages to the club

  • Makes better use of the facilities
  • Increases membership
  • Provides development programme for e.g. Assistant Instructors and Dinghy Instructors, particularly for young sailors
  • Potentially creates a group of keen & interested AI youngsters
  • 10-15% of income to the club
  • It was agreed that the membership should be canvassed for their views; the Committee’s view was that Ben’s proposal was a good one and should be progressed to the next stage.

Action: Uta to inform the membership of the Committee’s support for Ben’s proposal and the re-application to become a RYA Sailing RTC, and to request any feedback.


  1. Open Swimming

From experience elsewhere, the swimming would occur at different times to sailing, particularly early in the morning. It would have an impact on the changing rooms and frequency of need to empty the septic tank (currently 2000 gallons every three weeks). From Chris’ experience os open swimming elsewhere, the clubhouse was left clean afterwards. There could be a significant financial advantage to the club.

With more use of the club, there could be a greater risk of fly-tipping – there was a suggestion of an electric gate with matched funding from Thames Water

The pontoons are not in a good state with the number of birds around and their droppings

It was agreed to investigate further and invite the organisers to visit the club to determine whether it might be suitable for their needs.

Action: John Oldham to progress discussions with NOWCA

  1. Grants

Access Facility grants are typically £20k - £50k; difficult to get a second one.

Equipment grants – Up to £10k for kit each year to increase participation of age range 14-20

Larger grants require formal quotes

Smaller grants don’t require matched funding

Small grants require approx. 1 week to prepare; an Access Facility grant requires typically 2 months. The end of the Tax Year is a good time to apply.

We should have a single point of contact for bodies such as Sports England


  1. Outstanding actions from previous meetings.


  1. Mike J / Tony S agreed to draw up plans for a new Women’s changing room. Action linked to action on water tank - Tony / Mike J asked to price up.

Further discussion on number of toilets and showers needed – committee believes we need at least three showers and two toilets in the men’s and the shower needs to be divided into cubicles. Action continues for Tony /Mike to rework the plans.

Tony updated on the cold Water tank – will be removed and water placed onto a pressured system at the same time as the work on the changing rooms take place. Action continues.

  1. Uta to ask membership for a volunteer to take on responsibility for Health and Safety (H&S).

Request sent out, but no response; no-one with H&S expertise indicated on membership application forms.

New Action: There is an identified need for a Health and Safety audit of the club; this might need a new committee post to own. This will be considered later on in the year.

  1. Tony S and Dave S to compile a list of club items and processes that need to be checked.

From Dave S:

Ramp inspections – done at least twice a year prior to Working Parties, but formal record not kept

Winch and rope inspections – Out of date; rope re-spliced or replaced as required


Fire Extinguisher inspections – reminders sent each year (Nov?)

Electrical system inspection – in Insurance Policy

First Aid kit (?)

Defibrillator (?)

Fridge and Freezer checks should be added.

Tony S has produced list of water temperature checks required

Dave B reiterated that the Committee can use the ‘Reminders’ section of the website.


  1. Tony S to get quote for upstairs patio doors.

Formal quote not yet obtained but as they are specialist doors, the expected cost is in the region of £2k. The lower door is also in need of replacement; however, it will be less expensive.

Wheelchair access to the club house was discussed. Building a ramp into the clubhouse was possible, but the biggest problem is the slope up to the top of the bank; this has no easy solution. Currently no action planned.

  1. Action to Gareth to check the status of the 2 solo donated to the club by Mark Keily and Lloyd Hogbin (Solo 1802) and offer an opinion on use of these boats. – Action in progress -awaits update from Gareth.
  2. Action to Dave B to offer to the membership the hull of Laser 195049 (including foil and sail found to go with it) Abandoned boat. Best offer to be accepted. Sold in a blind auction for £643.

New action John McGrath and John Smith’s widow wish to donate boats (Lasers) to club for training use.

  1. Action to Gareth to review.
  2. Action to John to prepare the legal docs for Mike Jones to become a trustee – New forms available to be signed.
  3. Action to Tessa (Treasurer) to check the payment proposal for Brendan’s course fees so we can fix course price.
  4. Action to Dave B to set up free membership for Alexis while he acts as Boatswain - Done.


  1. The following items were brought forward from previous meetings for discussion

Most were not discussed due to lack of time.

  1. It was agreed that the club would now publish the minutes of committee meetings to the membership the process will be for the minutes to be sent to the committee for agreement and then published one week later following any amendments.
  2. The replacement of the main club training boats the RS Visions was debated. It was agreed that we do not currently have the capital to constantly refresh the fleet, thus keeping boats nearly new and therefore cheap to maintain. Therefore we must start to build up a fund and prepare a suitable grant. The RYA (Ben Kimbell) has offered to assist in preparing a suitable bid. Committee decided to pend this debate until we had taken Ben’s advice and gained more understanding on the suitable funds we needed to obtain.
  3. Reinstatement of hire rates for use of club boats – All agreed to keep current system but we will debate this again in March 2020.
  4. Update on the Club Development plan 2019 – Nigel stated that the plan is evolving and it was agreed that this will now form a permanent agenda item therefore different aspects of the plan as they become topical can be discusse
  5. Update on the IBRSC Equalities policy – Uta has circulated the draft, amendments made and it is now ready for us
  6. Update on the arrangements for Clubs 60th birth day the proposal is for a pursuit race and match racing for juniors in Fevas on Aug 3rd. Action Continues.
  7. Update on the IBRSC Alumni get together, the date is set as Saturday 3rd August, there is a general request for suggested invitees including past members and friends of the club who might be interested. Uta is collating the list. The proposal is for a finger food party – finance to be discussed (subcommittee – UTA, Rob P and Tessa – likely club will cover the cost.)
  8. Debate held on the running of large racing events, committee considered that we had a gap in skills and members confident enough to organise larger events. The discussion on how to improve this led to a decision that club would ask the RYA to run a training course for a suitable group of keen racing members who would then form the organising body for these events. –

Action to Uta to write to possible interested people.

There is a Race Officer’s course on 20 October.

  1. Committee debated on asking Thames Water if we could allow open water swimmers to use club to raise funds. It was agreed to approach TW informally at first to gauge response. New Action to John to approach TW – TW is not against in principle; we need to provide detailed proposal.
  1. Committee debated on what was the minimum number of people at a committee meeting to make decisions i.e. quorate. A suggestion was seven people but debate suspended for advice from longer serving members on why no quorate was originally set.

Action to Mike J to speak to ex-trustee Colin – Outstanding.

  1. Items raised at the Club AGM for new committee consideration.
  • Charge for children’s meals (not full price) at events to increase income. This will be enacted.
  • Increase bar and food bills ( already agreed by previous committee and prices will be changed)
  • Possible to look to include meals in open meeting entry fee to reduce cash and increase income. Debated, with concern that this might over complicate things. However Action to Nigel to review when he visits various clubs and to check back to the committee with a view. Committee noted that it appears that we offer an inexpensive service at open meetings. Good to attract people but we must not undersell ourselves.

We appear to be broadly in line with other clubs. It was agreed to make no change – charge for lunch, provide free cream teas.

  • Nigel investigated options for hoodies, sweatshirts, tee-shirts etc. He will get examples. Dave B provided scalable vector image of club logo.
  • Look into more use of the Gift Aid consideration –

Action to Tessa /Dave to assess this whilst preparing this tax year spreadsheet

Tessa is not the named person on the Community Amateur Sports Club (CASC) website, which is hindering progress

  • Look into (Anthony T) the status of the club making it a possible charity and incorporated club.

Action: John to confer with Anthony T on these legal considerations.

  1. A First Aid course was recently run at the club the following points were raised for discussion and allocation of actions:
  • Add a contents list to the first aid boxes - Uta to provide list - Done
  • Add a guidance leaflet to the first aid boxes – Nigel to complete – Done(?)
  • Consider simple radio procedure for raising the alarm – Tessa to draw up for Gareth to add to race officer’s guide – Done(?)
  • Confidential filing of old accident reports. Discussion held on regular review of Health and safety and any accidents, committee will add a standing item to the committee agenda and Commodore will bring to the attention of the Committee for discussion any accidents and near misses.
  • Club name and post code on the defibrillator itself and on its case – Uta will put on a sticker - Done


  1. Committee general updates
  2. Commodore - Uta Griesenbach – nothing further
  3. Vice Commodore - Nick Marley – nothing further
  4. Rear Commodore - House - Tony Sproat – update described in Actions
  5. Hon Secretary - John Oldham – Apologies, nothing further
  6. Hon Treasurer -Tessa Groves

Funds are increasing – currently around £88k, but less than two years ago.
£18k income from training; £2,650 paid to Ben Kimbell and Tim Anderton for instructing.
Awaiting receipts from Mike J for his expenses.
Action to Mike J to provide receipts.

Ladies Changing Room fund has increased, but income from each event is dropping.
There was a suggestion for a boat fund of e.g. £2k/year, but it was pointed out that there are many potential expenses each year: e.g. track, sailing boats, power boats, ramps, pontoons.
There needs to be a capital expenditure budget – to be considered at next meeting.
The electricity meter box is in a bad state of repair; the padlock and chain have gone.
Action to Alexis to help chase EDF to replace.

  1. Hon Sailing Secretary - Gareth Griffiths: No further update
  2. Membership secretary - Dave Baldwin

Boat Owner

86

Non Boat Owner

23

Associate

16

Windsurfing Only

1

Cadet Boat Owner

25

Cadet Non Boat Owner

23

Winter Boat Owner Single

0

Winter Boat Owner Double

0

Winter Crew for IBRSC Member

0

Winter Cadet Boat Owner Single

0

Winter Cadet Boat Owner Double

0

Winter Cadet Crew for IBRSC Member

0

Winter Windsurfing Only

0

Wednesday Crew

0

Wednesday Boat Owner

3

Life

3

Bar

0

Gardening

4

Sailing Club

3

Provisional (Trysail)

16

Social

0

Stand Up Paddle Boarding

0



203


This is about 10 down from this time last year once the Provisional (i.e. trysail) members are taken out.

Membership Website

• Added summary of gift aided donations.
• Added Reminders (for committee members)

The reminders facility allows you to set reminders that occur on a specific date every year or more frequently such as weekly, monthly, etc.. The reminders are sent as emails.

A reminder can be set that needs a response. The response may be just entering some text or uploading one or more documents or reports, such as a fire extinguisher test certificate. You will receive nag emails until the response is made.

The reminders are categorised by the role you play and you can only add, delete or edit reminders or responses for the role(s) you hold. Every committee member can view all the reminders and responses that have been set up.

Why use this system? You may be able to remember everything you need to do over the year, but by recording them here you will make it easier for your successor to take over the role when you pass it on.

Laser Bumpers
Silicon rubber bumpers have been fitted to 6 of the club lasers. Unfortunately the recommended adhesive (3M 5100) used in the commercial version of the bumper isn't working and the bumpers are falling off. This may be due to a different type of rubber being used.

I have found an alternative adhesive that has also been suggested by Smooth-On (manufactures of the rubber) made by Tech-Bond, however I haven't found a source in the UK and Amazon and Tech-bond don't ship it out of North America.

https://www.amazon.com/Tech-Bond-Basic-Poly-Kit/dp/B07K61SQ8S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=tech-bond&qid=1559462763&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Anyone visiting the US soon?

Boat Shelters
The boat shelters were all in a sorry state after the weeks of stormy weather over the winter.
The one surviving cover had a few minor rips and is UV degraded, its survival secret was the cover was really taut. New tarpaulins are made to their nominal size whereas previously they were made to their cut size (i.e. smaller), hence newer covers have been baggy and susceptible to wind damage.

One steel shelter had broken its mooring and was ashore so all bent out of shape and a couple of clamps broken. This was dismantled and reassembled. The uprights were changed for longer ones (to better fit the new covers). Cover replaced and shortened using 'holdon' clips. Rear bar removed to make using the shelter easer now (bracing had been added so the bar was somewhat redundant). Chaffed rope replaced.

Two steel shelters brought ashore and uprights changed, covers replaced and rear bar removed. Chaffed rope replaced.
The steel shelter with the surviving cover still needs to be brought ashore and the uprights and cover changed.
The two aluminium shelters brought ashore. Ridge pole brackets had broken so replaced with alternative fixing method. Three of the float brackets had broken (screws had pulled out of aluminium) so replaced with alternative design using nut and bots. Covers replaced and shortened using 'holdon' clips.

After its last capsize the Committee boat shelter was left without a cover on one of the pontoons. The pontoon had part broken free and trapped the shelter against the shore and wave action wore away part of the frame. The frame has been repaired with additional bracing. Ridge pole brackets replaced and 4 float brackets replaced. The PVC strip curtains badly torn or missing so replaced with simpler design using car seat belt webbing. Cover now extends down to the floats to see if this prevents the frequent capsizing.

Future work:
1. Upgrade the one remaining steel shelter.
2. Replace the netting at the back of the steel shelters with the car webbing curtains. The netting easily catches on the boats making it more difficult to retrieve or store them.

Topper Mast Rack
Add another layer of tubes. Cost estimated about £210.
Go ahead or not? – It was agreed - Yes

Actions Done
• We don’t have anyone registered with an occupation of health and safety.
• The abandoned Laser 195049 has been auctioned and fetched £643.
• Alexis now has free membership and has been refunded this year’s fees.
• Work has been done to facilitate gift aid donations.

  1. Trysail update - Nick M
    16 Trysail students, with 5 on the waiting list; availability of instructors after half-term is uncertain.

  2. Rear Commodore Works – Dave Simpson
    • Second winch up and running, and put to good use on Aero Open; top of ramp needs some attention – Big thanks to Tony and Alexis

  3. Some further electrical checks required - Tony S
    • Safety Boat Zero (console steered Jeanneau 370) on the water – still needs some finishing touches - Alexis again
    • Stern of original Jeanneau 370 under repair – Alexis again
    • Grass looks immaculate – Thanks to Ian, Mike and John
    • Padlock number of access track gates to change soon – should under clubhouse padlock be same number? If possible, set to same number

  4. Social Secretary - Mike Jones

FRIENDLY FRIDAYS - 21st June, 27th July, 16th August

Social evenings, both on and off the water. No racing but all other types of sailing activity is encouraged, including Oppie Water Hockey.

Friendly Fridays became famed in 2019 for the excellent food and this will continue.

They have been very successful, but we need to ensure that safety cover is maintained.

OPEN DAY (Push The Boat Out) – Saturday 11th May

A successful day with 100 people attending; 5 Visions + 2 Safety Boats out.

6 people have applied for the weekend beginner sailing course (4 days in total).

COMMODORES DAY – Sunday 14th July

We use the popular racing format of 6 back to back races with a short half time lunch break. Oppies do just 3 races. We have a great barbecue, music, a little dancing and the afternoon is rounded off with our annual pirate ship water fight.

QUIZ NIGHT – Saturday 19th October

This has now became an established, popular event where we dine, have great fun and raise money for worthy cub projects

FIREWORK NIGHT - Saturday 2nd November

This has also become a well-established and very popular social and family event and will be repeated in 2019

CEILIDH & SUPPER – Saturday 23rd November

Jim Champs band, conjured up by Uta, was the star of this evening. It was a great event and we think should be repeated.

CHRISTMAS PARTIES – last Sunday in December before Christmas

Our regular format of mulled wine and mince pies, Father Christmas Party (the attendance was ell down again this year – not sure why), Ten Pin Bowling at Kingston, Sailing School Curry in East Molesey. This formula works, but suggestions on variations would be gladly accepted.

  1. Sailing School and Junior Sailing update - Mike Jones / Nigel Thomson
  • Generally going well.
  • However, trying to amalgamate four Topper beginners with ex-Oppies from last year has not worked; separate groups are required. Therefore, another Topper instructor is required – Dave T(?) has volunteered.
  • Any possible impact of becoming a RYA RTC is not known.
  • Non-racing side of the club needs to be considered.
  • Topper training over last winter (Nov – Feb) was good for new members, so is to be encouraged.
  • Last Sunday before August break is July 28.
  • July 14 is Commodores Day with junior racing, barbecue party, and pirate ship water battle.
  • Junior Sailing School restarts on September 1
  • Junior Sailing School Final Day is September 29, when there will be a mixed class racing regatta
  • Please note September 13, 14, 15 is also East Head Camping and Sailing. See also below.

Additional Junior Training 2019

  • Week Long Camps
  • This year, following a very successful summer school established by Brendan O’Leary and run by Harry Phelps in July 2018, we plan to run a number of almost week long courses for junior sailors of all ability groups.
  • These will run over two consecutive weeks from 29th July to 2nd August, and 5th August to 9th August.
  • It is planned to run a winter half term course and an Easter course as well in 2020 if there is demand.

Winter Sunday Morning Training

On Winter Sunday mornings, thanks to a popular initiative set up by Jonathan Leake and Nigel Thomson, junior training is being offered to Topper sailors on many Sunday mornings from January 13th to 24th March, with an hour of coaching followed by participation in the two back to back club races. This is a great way of bridging the gap between Sailing School and Club racing. Thank you, Jonathan and Nigel, junior sailors, and all helping parents.

Other Junior Sailing events at Island Barn - 2019

SCHOOLS REGATTA

Sat 22 June

Open regatta for all junior types

COMMODORES DAY

Sun 14 July

Racing for Oppies, Toppers, Fevas and Lasers

MATCH RACING

Sat August 3

Match racing for Fevas

EAST HEAD CAMPING AND SAILING

Fri Sat Sun

13,14,15 Sept

At East Head in Chichester Harbour

TOPPER TRAVELLER OPEN

TOPPER OPEN TRAINING

Sat 21 September

Sun 22 September

Large Topper Open

Topper training open to all

AUTUMN CRUISE

Sat 5 October

Sun 6 October

Cruise organised by club members for junior sailors and parents

FEVA OPEN

TBA

To be confirmed


  1. General committee members update – ALL

Agreed to charge a little for Try Race – Action Gareth to consider price.


  1. AOB

Nothing received – If there is something that needs discussion please bring it to the attention of the Chair at the beginning of the meeting so it can be scheduled in.

Agenda should be swapped around for the next meeting as topics towards the end don’t get adequate consideration.

  1. Next meetings:

Next Meeting @Clubhouse 2nd Sept 2019

Next Meeting @Clubhouse 2nd Dec 2019

Next AGM @Clubhouse 2nd Feb 2020

Next Meeting @Clubhouse 9th March 2020


ENDS

X

Summer Sailing Camps

​​​​​​​

Two 1 week courses in August - Book Now >