This site uses cookies to provide you with a more responsive and personalised service. By agreeinging to this statement you consent for us to use cookies that ensure the marketing we do is relevant to you. Please read our cookie notice for more information on the cookies we use and how to delete or block them.

Sailing Committee Minutes - February 2019

< Back

sailing committee​​​​​​​

Minutes - Sailing Committee Meeting

Date: February 12 2019
Time: 1930
Location: Clubhouse

Attending: Gareth Griffith, Uta Griesenbach (chair), Mike Jones (by phone), Dave Simpson, Nigel Thompson, Jonathan Leake
Apologies:
Simon Bean, Peter Halliday, Dave Baldwin, Alexis Villier, Nick Marley

Minutes prepared by Uta Griesenbach

Item

Discussion

Actions

Fleets

Training
Peter H suggested to run a few training sessions for intermediate adults combining various boat classes. All agreed this was a good idea and ~3 Saturday training sessions should be arranged throughout the summer. Gareth G already volunteered to run one session. Uta to organise and find volunteers to run other sessions

RS200: Winter series was a success and will be repeated in 2019/20

Solo/Streaker open: The open has been organised for Saturday 28 September. Club turnout has to be better than in recent years otherwise we will be losing this event. We 13 Solo sailor’s registered, but only 6 are active with on average 3 sailing per week. A format of 2 races in the morning and 2 in the afternoon was agreed for Solos as requested by Peter, Streaker’s may use a different format. TBD by Chris Smith. Club racing should also be allowed considering that turnout may be low.

There is currently no topper training on the 28.9.19.

RS400/Phantom Open


Laser Open scheduled but not part Grand Prix circuit as there isn’t a coordinator anymore. Simon B will cover usual advertising. Gareth described how we have 40+ Lasers registered but less than 10 sailing – is there a way to encourage more of them to sail?

Simon B will cover ususal advertising costs at IBGareth described how we have 40+ Lasers registered but less than 10 sailing – is there a way to encourage more of them to sail?

Aero: we now have 19 boats including 4 junior. Fleet wont have a separate start at the moment, but this will be regularly reviewed

Topper winter training is a great success. Try and keep going through the summer. Having a large number of topper on the start line requires some more patience from adult sailors. Please raise any major concerns with Uta


Uta




Nick M to organise


Peter H and Chris S.






IBRSC wont host these events in 2019 due to local fleets being too small


Simon B





Gareth


Nigel and Jonathan

Boat shelters

Would be useful to have a video on website.


Unclear if “Zero” fits into one of the existing shelters.

NM and DB to make video, when weather a bit warmer


Alexis to measure

Wooden prize winners board

Need updating. Rob P has taken this on

Rob P ongoing

Bird faeces

Spiders work, but are expensive. Dave B working on alternative design

Dave B working on prototype


Training aid

Dave B constructed a training aid for trysail and sailing school. Action completed, but suitable place has to be found

All to agree

Organisation of upcoming Opens and Events

Mike J and others generated one spreadsheet



All information needs to be collated in one file. Mike J and Dave B to discuss if and how sailing calendar can be extended to collate all info

Events in 2019

(all provisional)


Push the Boat out – May 11

(lessons learnt from 2018 –sign up members on the day and offer fast training opportunities. Training to be offered to new member on June 1+2 and June 8+9.

Make sure social programme is well advertised on the day and flier is available.


Aug 3 Round the Island. We are organising a gathering for “dignitaries” to celebrate IBRSC 60th bday


Spinnaker course – planned for October halfterm (21-25 October) leading to feva open on Sat 26


Topper course planned for bank holiday weekend in August to prepare for topper selector event


Fevas: try to grow fleet. A potential fleet captain has been identified


Uta and Nick to organise

Uta to send doodle for volunteers to sign up





Organising committee: Rob P, Uta G, Mike J, Tessa G



Nigel Mike Jonathan to discuss timing


Nigel and Jonathan to discuss



Uta to follow up


Ongoing

Reminders to all race officers to contact team well before the duty

Remind all members about last launch times in summer and winter

Remind duty teams about last launch times in summer and winter

Uta to send email


Uta to send email


Uta to send email

Upcoming events

DI course in April is full. Thanks you to Nigel and Jonathan for organising

Sailing week for kids (2 weeks in summer) is being organised

Ben Kimball will run a topper race training course April 9-11 or 12th

Ben invited local DIs to help on topper course – Jonathan to circulate info to DIs

Jonathan to help Ben during topper racing course

The topic of payments for ISRSC members to be paid for supporting courses was extensively discussed considering that lots of members spend time to support club activities unpaid. Attendees agreed that youngsters without regular income (eg at university or in school) could be paid, but that payment of any other IBRSC members would have to be discussed on a case by case basis if applicable. It was generally anticipated that IBRSC members who contribute to courses would not request payments.

Jonathan and Ben Kimbell are discussing/planning additional training courses. Possibilities: Topper course bank holiday weekend in August to precede the topper selector event

Spinnaker course: maybe Oct 21-25 October leading into feva open on Sat 26.




Brendan and Jonathan/Nigel


Jonathan/Nigel





No further action






Jonathan



Nigel Mike Jonathan to discuss timing

Welfare Officer update

Ray Lambe has been appointed as Welfare Officer and issues related to Sailing School Welfare will be discussed at sailing school meeting on March 26.

An IBRSC equality and diversity policy has been generated and a link will be uploaded on IB website


Ray Lambe


Uta G and Nigel T

RYA/RTC update

Nick has signed up for SI course, Jonathan is an SI

Gareth plans to do course asap at QM in Oct or before

We will have 12-14 DIs following the 2019 training sessions


At the next sailing committee we will discuss pros and cons of becoming RTC and recommendations will discussed at the general committee before passing to membership in Mid 2019


Nigel will catch up with Scouts to inquire about SI coverage











Nigel


Club boats

We need a more coordinated approach for investments into the club fleet. All agreed that appointment of a grant officer would be important

Uta to follow up

Training

Dave S: need to finalise dates for PB2 courses. Find out when Chris Beaman is available

Do we need another PB instructor – find out who may be interested. Recommend to full committee that costs for an instructor course should be partly covered by IB (if in access of £150 to be in line with costs for DI courses)

First aid course; loose plans to organise first aid in June – Jonathan


VHF and first aid jan 2020


Costs for open meetings: It was generally agreed that we don’t charge enough for open meetings




Dave S


Dave S




Jonathan



Nigel


Mike J/Mike B to review costs for junior events
Gareth G to review costs for adult events.
Mike J to review fees for zone squad events at IB
All to be done before end of March 2019

TrySail

Nick M will be nominated person to run the course, but will be supported by Ian P, Mike J and Uta. Call for additional helpers will come soon

TrySail team

Sailing school

Thanks to Jonathan and Nigel for successful topper training – great initiative

Concerns were raised about co-ordination of instructors for the various groups including toppers and opppies. Mike J agreed to generate a rota for discussion on March 26



Mike J

Scouts

Nothing to report


Winch handling

Byelaws have been amended to allow ≥16 year old to handle winch, but competence has to be assessed. Uta to send out an email and assess competency

Uta

Safety

A member raised concerns about safety cover on a windy day when 2 power boats were involved with helping a boat on the lee shore. This concern was extensively investigated. The committee felt that safety had not been compromised because (i) the committee boat was monitoring the race and was in radio contact with the safety boats, the third safety boat (supporting toppers) was aware of the situation and standing by via radio contact.

The committee agreed that it was important to remind all race officers that they have the power to ask/tell boats to retire if they are repeatedly overpowered.

The committee also agreed to remind all sailors that the decision to sail is down to the individual sailor. For under-18s the decision rests with parents and carers who should consult with the race officer if uncertain and be ready to help with safety boats if requested.


Next meeting

TBD


X

Summer Sailing Camps

​​​​​​​

Two 1 week courses in August - Book Now >