This site uses cookies to provide you with a more responsive and personalised service. By agreeinging to this statement you consent for us to use cookies that ensure the marketing we do is relevant to you. Please read our cookie notice for more information on the cookies we use and how to delete or block them.

RYA Marine Radio Course - February 3rd 2019

  • rya marine radio course

    We're running an RYA VHF Marine Radio course exam at the club on the morning of Sunday February 3, 2019 

    The VHF certificate lets you operate a VHF radio on yachts and powerboats. It's linked to the RYA Day Skipper, Coastal Skipper and Yacht master courses and can be essential if chartering boats in the UK and overseas. You can take a 'taster course' at this link.

    The process is that you buy the course online and do it at home. Then you come to the club to do the exam on Sunday Feb 3.

    Candidates must be 16 years or over on the day of the exam.The course and exam are being provided by Ashley Cato. .


    1) Tell Ashley Cato and Nigel Thomson that you want to take the exam at Island Barn on Sunday Feb 3.

    2) Purchase the online course at the Barton Turf website AT THIS LINK.

    3) Pay for the exam separately via the RYA website at this link. The exam payment is additional to the course payment.

    4) The RYA will email you an 'Exam Voucher'. Email a copy to Ashley and Nigel to confirm that you have paid and will attend on Feb 3.

    Once you have paid it is up to you to complete the online course.

    The exams will run in two batches, starting at 0830 on Sunday February 3, 2019 and each lasting about 2.5 hours,

    so you won't need to be there all day.

    (Sunday Feb 3 is also the day of the club AGM at 1400 so we aim to finish the exams by 1300.)
    It will comprise a practical and written test on radio procedures, and regulations with emphasis on distress and urgency procedures.

     Ashley will bring a set of 'dummy' digital radios, of a type approved by the RYA for such courses. 

     On the day you will need: 

    •  Proof of identity, such as a passport 
    •  Proof of residence - like a utility bill or bank statement 
    •  A quality colour photo with your name on the back .


    Club Open with Stage 3 Restrictions    find out more