This site uses cookies to provide you with a more responsive and personalised service. By agreeinging to this statement you consent for us to use cookies that ensure the marketing we do is relevant to you. Please read our cookie notice for more information on the cookies we use and how to delete or block them.

Sailing Committee Meeting - January 2018

< Back

SC Minutes

Minutes - Sailing Committee Meeting

Date: January 31 2018
Time: 1930
Location: Clubhouse

Attending: Gareth Griffith (chair), Simon Bean, Uta Griesenbach, Mike Jones, Alexis Villier, Dave Simpson, Dave Baldwin, Nick Marley
Apologies:
Chris Smith, Colin Bristow
Absent:
Paul Playle, Mike Storey, CJ Cavallari

Minutes prepared by Uta Griesenbach

Item

Discussion

Actions

Boat maintenance


Visions : Mike Storey agreed to take on Visions and to arrange Vision crewing for interested TrySailors/other inexperienced club members

Mike S

Fleets

Laser: training session


Aero has email group and may set up face book group. Other fleets to consider similar


If aero open is big, go to aero only open in 2019


RS200: all good series going well

Consider doing rs200 series all year. Put effort into further growing RS200 fleet through targeted advertising


Simon B to organise


Fleet captains to think about



Gareth G to assess



Nick M to action

Sailing School

Strong leadership for all boat types in place

No further action required

Prizes

Summer and winter prize; overall prize and most improved prize


Laser prize

Gareth to organise



Simon to speak to Rob P

Socials

RYA is running dedicated sessions to advise clubs on increasing memberships. Several club members attending meetings with Steve Mitchell and Ben Kimbell.

Ideas:

Friendly Fridays; monthly May – August (Social sailing with friends and family+food)


May open day






Film nights and quiz night in spring and autumn









Mike J to organise




Uta and Nick M to organise. Ben R to design flier for advertising. All member help to distribute fliers


Mike J to organise




Membership fees

According to RYA and club members monthly direct debit may be a more attractive option than annual membership fee. Dave B confirmed that this should, in theory, be possible.

Switch may have implication for Clubs cash flow that need to be carefully considered.

Tessa (Treasurer), Uta and Dave to discuss in more detail for possible implementation in 2019

Moving boats

Repair of reservoir has been completed. Many thanks to John O for liaising with TW throughout the process. New scaffolding poles to anchor boats will be put into position during the Spring working party. Many thanks to Tony S for getting us a good deal on poles. Boats will be repositioned asap. Dave B is master minding plans for re-positioning boats. Unused boats may be moved down.

All members to help with anchoring poles




Dave B to prepare plans for positioning boats

Boat shelters

Would be useful to have a video on website.


NM and DB to make video, when weather a bit warmer

Wooden prize winners board

Need updating

Uta to find out from Glen Cole where and how this was done in the past

Bird faeces

Spiders work, but are expensive. Dave B working on alternative design

Dave B to make prototype


RYA training

Ben Kimbell (RYA) visited club to talk about re-instating RTC in 2019. An initial potential SI assessment day is planned for March 19. Potentially interested club members: Gareth G, Nick Marley, Mike J, Jonathan L maybe Dave S


Ben K is also visiting on March 5 to talk about club developments


Jonathan Leake has organised VHF radio training


Nigel T organising and liaising with interested club members.






Nigel T organising


Organisation of upcoming Opens and Events

Mike J generated a spreadsheet listing all events and responsible people, which will be accessible to all committee members via dropbox


Discussion about numbers of volunteers required to run Opens and concerns were raised that this may lead to “understaffing” of club racing. A compromise was reached: Assign a core team to Opens via duty manager and “stock up further” by putting out calls for volunteers


Uta to add to dropbox





No further action required

Draft Programme

Gareth is putting final touches on 2018 programme


Feva open: new event for 2018


Feva training: requested by RYA March 17 28018


School regatta. Proposed date June 9th


Spring 2019 Aero open date is not yet available




MJ organising


MJ organising



MJ organising



Gareth G organising



AOB






Next meeting

March 2018

UG to arrange date