This site uses cookies to provide you with a more responsive and personalised service. By agreeinging to this statement you consent for us to use cookies that ensure the marketing we do is relevant to you. Please read our cookie notice for more information on the cookies we use and how to delete or block them.

THE 59th ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF ISLAND BARN RESERVOIR SAILING CLUB

< Back


2018 AGM

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Minutes

THE 59th ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF ISLAND BARN RESERVOIR SAILING CLUB took PLACE AT THE CLUBHOUSE, ISLAND BARN RESERVOIR ON SUNDAY 4th FEBRUARY 2018 AT 14:00.

1) Apologies from: Rob Petit and Dave Simpson
2) Minutes of the 58th Annual General Meeting

Minutes were approved with one amendment: Missing from the minutes were details of the rule changes and byelaw changes. The minutes 2017 have been amended and attached to this report.

3) Hon Treasurer:

The audited accounts for year ending 30th Sept 2017 were presented and approved.
Full copies have been sent to all members

4) Reports from the Flag Officers and Sub Committees.

Commodore – Mike Storey
This Club operates and runs on volunteers. All members do their bit at Working Parties and on Race Duty and I thank everyone for the time they put in to help the Club run smoothly and in a friendly fashion that is remarked upon by our many visitors.

I’d particularly like to thank Eddie and his bar team for keeping us watered and the vital work done by the catering team, marshalled by Uta and on events more often than not managed by Yin, who provide the organisation and shopping that keeps us fed.

  1. was great to see Nick Marley return to the Club last year from his exciting adventures in Kuwait. His website experience has been a big weight off my shoulders and I’m very happy that he has agreed to Uta’s request to become Vice Commodore.

As I stand down as Commodore my personal thanks go to all of the Committee, who devote even more of their time to keeping the roof above our head (quite literally), the boats on the water and providing the sailing activities that we all want to see. All but myself and one other of the current Club Officers and committee members are standing for re-election and I thank them for their commitment. Please join me in thanking all this year’s Committee for their work.

This year, the Committee took the decision to withdraw the Club as a RYA Training Centre for sailing. We took this decision as a lack of Senior Instructors within the Club was potentially jeopardising some of our popular informal training provision, namely the Junior Sailing School and TrySail. We remain a RTC for Powerboats. Nigel Thompson has taken over as RYA Principal and thanks to Nigel and Gareth Griffiths we are working with the RYA to fast-track up to four Senior Instructors and more Dinghy Instructors from within the Club membership that will hopefully enable us to recommence offering formal RYA dinghy sailing qualifications. I for one am looking forward to the challenge of becoming a senior instructor as I approach my senior years.

As a Community Amateur Sports Club we are now required to monitor the participation of our members and we introduced this monitoring at renewal time last year. I’m pleased to say that we have a very active membership. Nearly 80% of our members are officially active which is far in excess of CASC requirements. However, as with many sports organisations, our membership has been on a declining trend since 2014. Our actual sailing numbers remain reasonably steady but we need to do more to attract and retain members.

Trysail and Junior Sailing are key drivers of new members, but we are aware of the leap required to move from a tutored introduction to full blown membership, with the barrier of boat ownership being significant for potential new members who are beginning sailing. We experimented with offering Try-Sail participants free use of Club boats should they subsequently join the Club and to address this further the Committee has decided to remove Club boat hire fees for all members going forwards. We hope that this, along with more structured but informal training opportunities for beginners, will reduce barriers to entry, increase participation further and enable us to attract and retain new members.

We have done this without significantly hiking subscription fees as this would unfairly penalise members with their own boats, but subscription fees have been increased in line with inflation and also to reflect card payment costs, which we were previously absorbing.

Uta and Nick also have proposals which I hope they will be able to implement this year to increase local awareness of the Club. Our underlying mission remains to provide safe and friendly racing and sailing for our members but we must redouble efforts to attract and retain members.

This year Thames Water undertook a significant programme of works on the reservoir banks, which Dave Simpson details in his report. The works progressed with practically no disruption to sailing and were completed with great efficiency. There is a video of the works Thames Water undertook on our website, which I encourage all to watch, if only for the great aerial shots of the reservoir. The net result of these works to the Club is additional car parking space, three new launching ramps and a new winch and ramp to be installed up the bank. All valuable additions I’m sure you’ll agree.

This spring we expect that Thames Water will be installing a powered boat washing facility at the bottom of the access ramp as part of their ongoing measures to prevent the spread of invasive species.

Since we’re on building works, it won’t have escaped your attention that we’re currently in the middle of some. Our long awaited roof repairs are underway and thanks to Tony Sproat and Mike Jones we’re hoping soon to have a nice new waterproof roof to last us the next 25 years or so. As can only be expected when it comes to these things, costs have a habit of increasing. In the case of the roof, inflation counted for a 3% increase in costs, plus as was probably inevitable once the roofers got on site, additional works are required, adding upwards of £4,000 to costs, which are now in the region of £20,000. Needless to say the requirement to secure the structure has precluded further development works to the clubhouse as well as providing a significant drain on reserves. However with a female Commodore expected to be in place soon. I have no doubt the long awaited improvement to our changing room arrangements will be forthcoming.

As with last year we are proposing some changes to the Club Rules and also to the byelaws. New data protection regulations will come into place later this year and those of you who have already renewed membership for next year will have seen new language and consents required by this. Thanks to Dave Baldwin and Nick Marley for taking on the responsibility to review and propose solutions to ensure we remain compliant.

The Commodores’ Cup is awarded each year by the Commodore to their choice of most deserving contribution to the Club. This year I’m going to award it to the person who designed and manages the system which delivers the bulk of our revenue, enables sign up to courses and also allocates duties and allows us to swap them efficiently. He also keeps track of the boat park, identifying abandoned boats and trailers for disposal. This year he has added additional data protection requirements to our membership sites and also established an online sign-up for open meetings, which should be in operation shortly. But most importantly, and many people thank him for this, after much trial and error he has designed and built the boat shelters that keep our rescue boats free from unwanted deposits and are the envy of many of our visitors from other clubs. Next on his never ending list is a system to keep birds from roosting on the pontoons. And for that we will all be eternally grateful. The Commodore’s Cup for 2018 is awarded to Dave Baldwin.

As I hand over to the very capable Uta and Nick I’d like to thank everyone again for their support of the Club over the year wish you all happy sailing in 2018.

Vice-Commodore report- Uta Greisenbach
Let me start by thanking Mike Storey for his fantastic work as Commodore over the last 2 years. In true IB tradition Mike will receive his on personal tankard to drink copious amounts of beer in all the spare time he will now have. Over the last 2 years, I really enjoyed serving as vice –commodore alongside Mike and learnt a lot about running a club. Mike will step down from the committee, but has offered to look after our Vision fleet and increase sailing in Visions.

I have only been a member at IBRSC for about 8 years, which feels like yesterday compared to many others member. I am, therefore, a little stunned to now become the first female IB commodore. I am probably also the first IB commodore without a British passport. Let’s hope I don’t have to leave the country in 2019 and excuse spelling mistakes in my emails.

I should probably feel quite nervous at this stage, but strangely I don’t. This is largely due to the strong team which will support me and the club.

Nick will be a fantastic Vice-commodore and I very much look forward to working with him.

John is a fantastic secretary and we have to thank him for making the Thames Water repairs so non-disruptive. He also successfully negotiated the new parking space and the new ramp, which will be built shortly.

Our rare commodores (Dave Simpson and Tony Sproat) are doing brilliant jobs and the roof repair will be completed soon.

Tessa is diligently looking after our finances and keeping us afloat and Gareth is a great sailing secretary.

Dave Baldwin deserves praise on many levels. He handles all membership duties, but you will also have admired the boat shelters and bird scarers.

Mike Jones tirelessly runs the sailing school and our social events, which are at the heart of our family friendly club.

Alexis is single-handedly looking after all powerboats and I can’t stress enough how much money the club is saving due to Alexis’ skills with engines.

Ian Peace and his grass cutters team are keeping scrubs at bay.

Eddy is looking after the bar and, importantly, has promised to not resign for the next two years

Nigel Thomson and Ray Lambe have recently taken over as RTC principle for power boats and child protection officer, respectively.

May I apologise to everybody who is not mentioned in the report, but let me assure you that your contributions are not overlooked and make Island Barn Sailing Club what we are.

Looking forward, we have many opportunities but also face some challenges.

We are planning activities to increase memberships. These will include targeted Facebook advertising led by Nick Marley and Ben Russell, an Open Day in May and activities to encourage Try-Sailors to become members.

In addition, we are planning to further enhance club activities for existing members which will include family friendly sailing and social events such as film nights (scheduled for April) and quiz nights (scheduled for September). You may already have signed up for the “race officer training” in February and the “race around the course faster” in March. In addition, Jonathan Leake is organising VHS-radio and first aid classes at IB.

Several experienced members have expressed interests in becoming senior instructors, which will open opportunities to resurrect our Sailing School RTC accreditation.

You may have heard that IB will contribute to reducing plastic waste by phasing out bottled water and disposable cutlery. Importantly, we will now sale re-usable IB water bottles designed by Nick Marley (£2.50 each).

Our next big project will be to increase the female changing room and Mike J and Tony S are working up the plans.

Most importantly, I would like to hear from all members on what they are expecting from the club and how we can increase your enjoyment and participation is IBRSC activities.

I very much look forward to talking to you at the club. All the best Uta

Hon. Sailing Secretary - Gareth Griffiths
This year has seen a change in the sailing program with the combining of the laser/solo fleet starts into a slow handicap. This doesn’t have to be permanent and I hope that new fleets will emerge whether these classes or new ones such as the RS200 or Aero. Class racing really helps develop the skills needed for open meetings or championships. That said though the new arrangements have meant that the slow fleet gives better racing in the morning for Toppers and Fevas which I think is something to encourage. Overall numbers sailing remain stable with 58 boats taking part in at least one race of the summer pursuit compared to 53 the previous year.

If we look at the composition of classes it’s clear that the Aeros are showing strong growth most weekends with the largest numbers, and the 200s are showing growth with Nick’s efforts to encourage a monthly series showing some gains. We are seeing the club Lasers, Fevas and Visions used for racing which is encouraging. I think we need to work harder to help people transition from our sailing schools (Trysail and Juniors) into regular club activity. The natural progressions we have are juniors moving from toppers to Laser or Feva, and adults moving from Vision to RS200 or our single handers Solo/laser or for the higher performance Aero or Phantom. We need to encourage the transition.

We need to help new sailors – I’m really pleased that many people tell me how friendly this club is, but I would ask everyone to talk to people you see at the club – especially people rigging club boats because usually these are newer sailors and that little contact/help could be all they need to avoid a frustration. Ian Peace is doing a great job encouraging the Saturday fleet – that’s a great place to start racing – low key friendly racing. In a similar manner we are trying to increase the shore based education options:

  • There’s a Race Officers course running on Feb 21 in the evening. Even if you don’t plan to be a Race Officer this will help you understand what they do and what the signals they make mean.

  • I will be running a “Fast round the course” session on 14 March
    If you find yourself going the same speed as other boats but suddenly they have popped out 50 yards ahead this is the session for you. We will not talk much about sail setting or controls - that’s a boat-speed talk and we might do that another day. This is about how to get round the course quicker and how to use the rules to your advantage.
  • We’ve often said this is a racing club, but we’re more than that. The friendships made here last. There is a social fabric of sailing lasts and the more we can encourage that the stronger we will be as a club. We have a great clubhouse now with a training room let’s use that.

Of course we also have Tuesday evening coaching – TryRace where we try to practice some of these skills. TryRace is aimed at club sailors to practice. Generally, this attracts more beginners than experts but ALL levels are welcome and I’m sure all gain. If we have only beginners, there is no-one to show how it should be done. When we did stating practice a couple of years ago it was only when we had some more experienced sailors showing how to approach the line slowly that the rest of the group suddenly ‘got it’ and everyone improved. I’d encourage anyone who is not consistently at the front to come to learn, and anyone who IS consistently at the front to come and help coach. I realise some people would like to come but they are already helping with TrySail. Maybe we can choose a few Saturdays to have a morning coaching session.

If there’s a course you would like to see please let us know. We’re already running things like first aid courses and a new Maritime Radio course. Are there other shore based courses you would like to see whether formal or informal.

Next year’s program, is very similar to last years with the popular Commodore’s day and Club Championship events – we’ve combined the Round the Island day with Match racing which I hope will prove popular.

Rear Commodore House - Tony Sproat
Throughout this year my main focuses have been finalising specifications for an additional winch for the new ramp which has been purchased and is awaiting installation. Also negotiating and liaising with contractors for the waterproofing of the clubhouse roof. I'm glad to say now that both main tasks are nearly complete, though not without problems en route.

I’d like to thank in particular Dave Simpson, Alexis and Mike Jones for their technical help and of course all the rest of the committee for their support.

Further to these works the following items remain outstanding:

  • Installation, wiring up and testing of the winch
  • Installation of drip strips to cover the new roof at the rear of the clubhouse
  • Testing of the reinstalled lightning conductors to both the main and rear sections of roof.
  • As part of ongoing maintenance I have replaced a number of light switches and light fittings.
  • Toilet seats have been replaced in the men’s toilets.

Rear Commodore Works – Dave Simpson
My apologies for missing the AGM – I will be in Italy doing battle on their snowy slopes.

The big event over the last year has been Thames Water’s repairs to the bank in three places, which resulted in us having to move a significant number of boats to the West end of the bank or down below. Our creation of the new berths and movement of the boats were done remarkably quickly at the spring Working Party; many thanks to all who helped achieve this. The TW preparation work took a long time, but the repairs to the banks with steel shuttering were remarkably swift. They have seeded the bank to the East and the trailer park; while the grass to the East is beginning to come through, the trailer park still has a long way to go. It is planned to move the boats and trailers back at the spring WP, but it will depend on the state of the grass. There are currently far too many trailers; those without valid stickers are liable to be disposed of.

As in previous years, the Working Parties have been crucial in maintaining the club infrastructure; it does not happen without you. Many thanks to all the willing hands who turn up; you make a real difference. As well as the general repairs, there are the never-ending brambles to be cut; sometimes it may seem a thankless task, but there is always a noticeable improvement in the appearance of the club after each WP. We now have TW’s agreement to use weed killer, so we hope that Francesca’s expertise will enable us to keep the weeds and brambles under control with rather less effort.

TW paid for the removal of a derelict ramp and the building of three new ramps to the West; these have been very successful. The second winch has taken an inordinate time to sort out; construction is finally due to start in the next couple of weeks. This will be to the left of the existing ramp, looking up. Although we have survived without it during the TW activities, it should help with our bigger open events. TW has been threatening for a long time to build a boat washing station; it looks as though this might finally happen, probably to the right of the existing ramp.

Dave Baldwin continues his engineering wonders – we are due another boat house for the safety boats and, funds permitting, even one for the Committee Boat. He is also looking to design and build cheap and easy to deploy bird scarers to go on the pontoons. His efforts are greatly appreciated by all safety boat users; clean boats are both much more pleasant to use and healthier.

As always, very many thanks to Alexis for continuing to keep the safety boats operational; it is a never ending task. Commercial maintenance of the boats would cost the club a very great deal and would not be available at weekends – we continue to owe Alexis a great deal.

Very many thanks to Ian Peace and his small team for taking on the grass cutting. However, he cannot do it on his own, so when he calls for volunteers to assist, please do so. If the grass is obviously in need of cutting and you have a spare hour of so, please make use of one of the mowers to make a dent in the task. In addition, all boat owners are reminded of their obligation to keep the grass around their boats and back to the fence cut.

Membership secretary- Dave Baldwin
End of year membership figures are just under 2% down from this time last year (188 vs. 184).

More worrying is adult sailing membership is down 8% (142 vs. 131), partly caused by a number of our senior sailors giving up. This has a direct impact on the duty system as these members provide the bulk of the duty teams.

As usual feedback from everyone leaving is favourable and the reasons given are due to circumstances beyond our control:

* Moving area.

* Too busy to sail.

* Children lost interest.

There have been a number of changes in how the online membership renewing/joining is handled:

1. The duty system has been revamped to offer all available duties instead of just a selection. This should result in a more even spread of duties so we have fewer days that are overmanned or undermanned. We ask you to do three duties and try to give you one half day and two full days, but if all the half day duties have gone we will offer you full day duties instead. The message here is the earlier you renew the more choice you get.

2. New EU regulations are coming into force in May concerning data protection and email communications. We have to ask you for your consent on how we can use your data, tell you what data we collect and how it is used, and let you see all the data we hold on you.

Renewals have got off to a good start, mainly due to junior sailing courses going online earlier, and 70 people have joined or renewed

SOCIAL SECRETARY’S REPORT – Mike Jones
There were four main social events in 2017

QUIZ NIGHT
To raise money for defibrillator. Great success, both as fund raiser (it paid for the defibrillator) and as a social event. Probably a signpost to the future.

FIREWORK NIGHT
Resurrecting an old Island Barn event. A hundred members came to this event. Great big fire which was very hot and required the moving of the nearest dinghies. A great guy made by Mike Storey, a spectacular firework display, great food, mulled wine, and the rain stopped at the perfect time. A very successful event to be repeated annually.

COMMODORES DAY
We have trimmed the social side down, with no evening event. This works better.

After the popular racing format of 6 back to back races with a short half time break. The Oppies did just 3 races. We had a great barbecue, steel band, dancing and the afternoon was rounded off with our annual pirate ship water fight.

CHRISTMAS
Our regular format of mulled wine and mince pies, Father Christmas Party (the attendance was down this year – not sure why), Ten Pin Bowling at Kingston, Sailing School Curry in East Molesey. This formula works, but suggestions on variations would be gladly accepted.

The future
Our local RYA contact Ben Kimbell has emphasised how club life ashore was just as important as on-water life. His RYA mission is to increase all his area’s clubs’ membership by 5%. Which is handy, because this fits in very well with new Commodore Uta’s aim of increasing membership. So to help her, I see my job as organising social events that will not only appeal to existing members but help to attract new members.

So we would propose to keep all the above and add the following:

FRIENDLY FRIDAYS
This summer, from April to August, the club will open one Friday each month for a social evening of sailing, power boat rides, games, barbecue or candle-lit supper, drink and music. This would be for members of all ages, their children, family, friends, prospective members and ex members. Food and drink would have different themes and be prepared and brought in by members,

FILM NIGHT
Two film nights a year, with a classic, old film, possibly with a nautical flavour. This would be accompanied by a candle lit supper and wine. The dishes would be brought in by participants on the night. Young children can be brought as well, as we will have a children’s film showing in the teaching room. We could possibly have a sleeping area at the back of that room, if wanted.

CEILIDH SUPPER
An evening of Gaelic folk dancing following a traditional candle lit supper, with dishes brought in by all participants. We could have a crèche in the teaching room or a children’s film, or both.

Other ideas that have been floated.

We can vary the programme now and annually to suit demand. These suggestions include:

WINE TASTING EVENING
A three course meal, with dishes again brought in by all participants. Between courses we will sample good wines.

A TALENT NIGHT FOR ALL AGES
We have a lot of talent in the membership. This show would put these on display. This could be quite a hilarious evening. It would be accompanied, of course, by a member-provided meal and we would expect the bar to do good business.

NEW YEARS PARTY
Let us know what you think of seeing in the New Year with a meal and music and dancing

CASINO EVENING
An evening that James Bond might have liked if he’d joined. With a smart dinner of course.

Your opinion
on these ideas and any suggestions you have would be very welcome. We will circulate a query sheet

JUNIOR SAILING REPORT – Mike Jones
Dates:

  • All Junior Sailing School Classes start on April 22 except Oppie Beginners who start on April 29
  • Last Sailing School with tuition is July 15
  • Last Sunday before August break is July 22.
  • July 22 is Commodores Day with junior racing, barbecue party, and pirate ship water battle.
  • Junior Sailing School restarts on September 2
  • Junior Sailing School Final Day is September 30, when there will be a mixed class racing regatta

The sailing school has been restructured a little this year, for Topper Intermediates, Fevas and Lasers

OPPIE BEGINNERS
Led by Ray Lambe. Will have 8 beginners in 8 club Oppies.

OPPIE INTERMEDIATES
Led by Claire and Jeff Davison.
Will have 8 Oppie sailors in their second year sailing their own Oppie or Optimist.

TOPPER BEGINNERS
Run by Nick Marley and Mike Jones.
Will have 8 Topper sailors in their first year in a Topper. Most will have learnt to sail in an Oppie.
Will use club Toppers unless they have their own

TOPPER INTERMEDIATES / FEVA / LASER
Run by Gareth Griffiths, Jonathan Leake, CJ Cavallari and Brendan O’Leary
Will have 8 Toppers, 4 Fevas, 4 Lasers
These 3 types will train and race together and sailors can swap from one type to another, until they settle on a particular type
Will have their own Toppers.
Will use club Fevas and privately owned Fevas.
Will use club Laser 4.7s, and Laser Radials and Full rig Lasers and privately owned Lasers

Other Junior Sailing events at Island Barn

TOPPER WINTER REGATTA

Sat 17 February

Topper Open Regatta


TOPPER OPEN TRAINING

Sat 21 April

Training for all Topper sailors by ITCA. See ITCA web

SCHOOLS REGATTA

Sat 9 June

Open regatta for all junior types

To be confirmed

COMMODORES DAY

Sun 22 July

Racing for Oppies, Toppers, Fevas and Lasers

MATCH RACING

Sat 28 June

Match racing for Fevas


TOPPER TRAVELLER OPEN

Sat22 September

Large Topper Open


AUTUMN CRUISE


Sat 6 October

Sun 7 October

Cruise organised by club members for junior sailors and parents

FEVA OPEN


Sat 13 October


To be confirmed


CHRISTMAS PARTIES

Sun 16 December

Father Christmas, 10 pin bowling and curry


Parental help : All parents are asked to help, either on the water or in the galley

Parents are needed particularly at the end of the day to put away power boats and dinghies while juniors are taking part in de-briefs with instructors

All parents are asked to gain their Powerboat qualification PB2 by enrolling for the RTC course (see club web) as soon as possible.

Lastly, many thanks to all those members who have helped to service the sailing school boats. I am bound to omit people, but these have particularly done a lot of work:
Ray Lambe, Jonathan Leake, Mike Barrett, Brendan O’Leary, Nick Marley

Work Parties

Please note that it is a condition of membership that all members attend the two Work Parties on

Sunday March 25 and October 28. This includes all junior members and their parents. The Work Party is great opportunity to learn how to look after boats. The days are actually very enjoyable. There is a great community spirit and Uta usually makes a big cake

Trysail 2017 – Chris Smith
Try-sailers :25
Individual Sessions: 155
Revenue : £2500
Try-sailers joined as members: 2
Introduced 2 Topper Topazes as training boats.

Trysail 2018
Starts Tuesday May 1st

5) To elect Club Officers:

OFFICER NOMINATIONS:
Commodore - Uta Greisenbach
Vice Commodore –Nick Marley
Rear Commodore Works - David Simpson
Rear Commodore House -Tony Sproat
Honorary Secretary - John Oldham
Honorary Treasurer - Tessa Groves
Honorary Sailing Sec - Gareth Griffiths

All agreed proposed Gareth Griffiths and seconded Dave Baldwin

6) To elect ordinary Committee Members:
NOMINATIONS:
David Baldwin
Mike Jones
Alexis Villiers
Chris Smith
Nigel Thomson

All agreed.

7) To elect the Bar Committee:
PROPOSAL:
Eddie Holland (Bar Manager)
John Carpenter
Up to 4 Vacant Positions
All agreed

8) To elect an Auditor:
PROPOSED: Tony Tahourdin
Agreed Alexis Villiers/Tony Sproat

9) To note the following Club administrative roles and personnel:
Social Secretary - Mike Jones
Catering Committee - Yin Ping Leung/ Tessa Groves/ Uta Greisenbach / Jude Scott
Membership Sec - David Baldwin
Web/Publicity Officer – Nick Marley
Duty Team Coordinator - Gareth Griffiths
Bosun - Alexis Villiers
Assistant Bosun - Vacant
Groundsman - Ian Peace
RTC Principal – Nigel Thomson
Junior Sailing Captain Mike Jones
Trysail Captain - Chris Smith

Class Captains
Laser - Simon Bean
Solo - Paul Playle
RS200 – Nick Marley

10) Proposal to alter Club Rules:
Changes are shown in bold in attached club rules and bye laws to demonstrate changes to
1. The data protection act
2. The lack of a fence between the boats and the water.
3. The confirmation of the dog policy which the committee agreed to confirm after a year.

All agreed by membership
Proposed – Dave Baldwin /Tony Sproat

11) Closure and thanks – the next AGM will be the first Sunday in February 2019 because no other formal proposal was notified to the Secretary the meeting was formally closed

Informal discussion

  1. There was discussion on the social side of the club which I have entered in the minutes under the social secretary’s report ( should have been part of the formal debate- apologies to Mike Jones
  2. Discussion on the positioning of boats on the top bank – the sailing school and juniors boats on the west side – others on the east.
  3. Discussion on security – reminder to all on locking and scrambling the locks
  4. Discussion on the need for an assistant bosun to help Alexis- lots to be gained by learning the trades.
  5. Debate on new members and this will be part of the new Commodores plan for the new committee to focus on membership uplift
  6. Important debate on getting to the club – ideas include car share and lifts from the railway station – again to be taken up by new committee
  7. Advertising was debated and modern methodology /signs /stickers to be thought through- new committee.
  8. Launching of large boats can be difficult – especially the Visions – John Oldham will meet with TW to discuss leaving some boats ( tied down ) on the bank
  9. Member Ellie Tubman will research the App – meet up to see if it can be used to attract membership uplift

Ends